Waste Collection & Disposal Help

Select the type of waste which you need to collect and/or dispose of
then click Click Here to Continue shown at the botton of this page.
Click on a Waste Type.

   Waste Type:

    Animal Bedding and Animal Cages (Biohazardous or uncontaminated)
    Animal Bedding and Animal Cages (Radioactive)
    Animal carcasses (NOT containing hazardous chemical, biological, or radiological materials)
    Animal carcasses (Biohazardous)
    Animal carcasses (Radioactive)
    Biohazardous Waste
    Biohazardous Waste - Animal carcasses, Biohazardous or ABSL-2 carcasses
    Biohazardous Waste - Biohazardous Tissue Culture Waste
    Biohazardous Waste - Human Body Fluids
    Biohazardous Waste - Human Cadavers and/or body parts
    Biohazardous Waste - Sharps (needles, Pasteur pipettes, broken glassware, etc.)
    Glassware (NOT contaminated with hazardous materials), Broken Glassware, Waste Laboratory Glassware
    Hazardous (Chemical) Waste
    Hazardous (Chemical) Waste - Ethidium Bromide Contaminated Gels
    Hazardous (Chemical) Waste - Uranium
    Hospital Waste (generated in patient care areas)
    "Hospital Like" waste (that can be disposed of as regular trash, e.g. IV tubing and empty bags without blood or sharps)
    Radioactive Waste
    Radioactive Waste - Animal carcasses / pathologic waste
    Radioactive Waste - Bulk Liquid Waste (aqueous liquid waste with volume > 50ml)
    Radioactive Waste - Dry Solid Materials (latex gloves, paper, glassware, capped biosafe scintillation vials, etc.)
    Radioactive Waste - Lead
    Radioactive Waste - Mixed Waste (aqueous liquid waste with volume > 50ml with EPA-listed Hazardous Chemicals)
    Radioactive Waste - Sharps (needles, Pasteur pipettes, broken glassware, etc.)
    Radioactive Waste - Uranium
    Sharps (Biohazardous, Trace Chemical, or Uncontaminated)
    Sharps (Radioactive)

   Other materials and containers:

  • Empty Chemical Containers
    • Empty Chemical Containers should be triple rinsed, collecting the 3 rinsates as Hazardous (Chemical) Waste, and any labels on the containers should be defaced. The dry and empty container can then be placed in your regular trash or taken to a dumpster.
  • Recyclable Materials
    • Contact UVa Recycling at 982-5050 to arrange for the recycling of your material.

Your Waste Type not shown on this page?
Call EHS at 982-4911.